[R] Averaging within a range of values

doggysaywhat chwhite at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 17 11:51:26 CET 2012

Thank you all for your help.  It's working now.  I chose to use the sqldf
method and fn$ in the gsubfn package.  I used fn$ so that I could put
variables into the sqldf statement.  This helped me to increase or decrease
the window size in the Gene dataframe if I wanted to include values in the
average both before or after the gene.

For anyone else interested, this is what it looked like.

Avg_func<-function(chr,begin,finish){
fn$sqldf(paste("select d1C",chr,".'ORF', avg(C0), avg(C1)
 from d1C",chr,", d2C",chr,"
 where d2C",chr,".Pos between d1C",chr,".Start-",begin," and
d1C",chr,".End+",finish,"
 group by d1C",chr,".'ORF'",sep=""))
}

I used d1C1 etc. because I had a different file for each chromosome that I
read into separate dataframes in R.  The dataframes also had ORF (Open
Reading Frame) instead of Group.