[R] Troubles with stemming (tm + Snowball packages) under MacOS

Julien Velcin julien.velcin at univ-lyon2.fr
Mon Jan 16 11:27:47 CET 2012

I had already seen this post. If I'm logged as root (it is possible
under macosx), here is the result:

* First run:

 > reuters <- tm_map(reuters, stemDocument)
Error in .jnew(name) :
   java.lang.InternalError: Can't start the AWT because Java was
started on the first thread.  Make sure StartOnFirstThread is not
specified in your application's Info.plist or on the command line
Unable to create WEKA_HOME (/Users/admin/wekafiles)
Unable to create packages directory (/Users/admin/wekafiles/packages)
Unable to create repository cache directory (/Users/admin/wekafiles/
repCache)
Unable to create WEKA_HOME (/Users/admin/wekafiles)
Unable to create packages directory (/Users/admin/wekafiles/packages)
Unable to create repository cache directory (/Users/admin/wekafiles/
repCache)
Refreshing GOE props...

* Second run:

 > reuters <- tm_map(reuters, stemDocument)
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!
Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Stemmer 'english' unknown!

BTW, thank you very much for your assistance.

Julien