[R] general question on Spotfire

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Jan 15 23:22:48 CET 2012

Thanks for your note Uwe.  Yes I think a lot of the needed work was related
to implementing R functions that many of us use that are not available in
S-Plus, plus what to do about plotmath.  It wasn't enough to just be able to
load the R package.  I don't think implementation of the needed R functions
in S-Plus ever happened.

Frank

Uwe Ligges-3 wrote

> On 12.01.2012 17:38, Frank Harrell wrote:
>> As a slight aside, Tibco/Spotfire originally planned to provide a
>> capability
>> to load R packages into S-Plus.  This always seemed to me to be a hard
>> thing
>> to do, and if my understanding is correct, this proved to be too
>> difficult
>> to do in S-Plus, at  least for large packages such as mine.
>
> Frank,
>
> this dates back to the times of Insightful. They already did that and
> had a module that allowed to load R packages. Of course, they had to be
> S-PLUS compatible (which is not really easy any more if package authors
> made use of R functionality that exceed the features of S-PLUS). They
> even had hired people to make some R packages S-PLUS compatible,
> R2WinBUGS was just one example that was available from their "CSAN"
> repositories. (Nowadays R2WInBUGS is no longer S-PLUS compatible, since
> the authors do not care too much and do not have S-PLUS licenses to
> check it.)
>
> Best,
> Uwe
>

>> Frank
>>
>> Terry Therneau-2 wrote
>>>
>>> John,
>>>    Spotfire is a menu driven data exploration tool, very popular here
>>> with biologists who found that their previous Excel based approach
>>> doesn't cut it for large data sets.  When TIBCO wanted to expand the
>>> tool with further quantitative features they made (I think) a bright
>>> decision to purchase S-plus and integrate it as a back end, rather than
>>> try to write dozens of new modules in house.  The "Splus vs R" aspect of
>>> the list responses misses the main point, however.
>>>
>>> Spotfire is designed to let you nose around in a data set, quickly
>>> plotting various aspects, zoom in on subsets (imagine a mouse based
>>> version of the "pinch" metafor used on the iphone), etc.  It is a useful
>>> and very well designed tool; one demo was enough to make the sale and
>>> early growth here was explosive.  But if you already know R you can do
>>> those graphs already, albeit quite a bit slower.  I decided not to
>>> persue proficiency in Spotfire, but that was partly because it's Windows
>>> based and I prefer Unix.  Also most of my work is at the
>>> post-exploration phase, and I would have flipped back to straight R for
>>> that anyway.
>>>
>>> Terry Therneau

>> -----
>> Frank Harrell
>> Department of Biostatistics, Vanderbilt University
>> --

-----
Frank Harrell