[R] remoting ESS/R with tramp

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 09:44:36 CET 2012

poti at potis.org writes:

> When I move R and Rscript out of my path, as expected, I also
> have problems. If I use tramp to connect to remote, open a shell
> there with M-x eshell, and type 'env' , my path is the path on
> local.

This is the correct behaviour of eshell:

/scp:slbps0:/root $ which env
eshell/env is a compiled Lisp function in `esh-var.el'

If you want the environment of your remote eshell session, you shall
call /bin/env instead.

> Before starting Emacs, try adding /usr/local/R-2.14.0/bin
> to your local path, e.g.:
>
> export PATH= $PATH:/usr/local/R-2.14.0/bin

With Tramp means, you could do

  (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/usr/local/R-2.14.0/bin")

Alternatively, you could instruct Tramp to preserve the path settings of
your remote account:

  (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)

Best regards, Michael.