[R] kruskal wallis post hoc?

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jan 12 21:27:40 CET 2012

Peter,

The score test from the P.O. model for the global null hypothesis (k-1
degrees of freedom for comparing k groups) is almost exactly the
Kruskal-Wallis test statistic.  For the case where k=2 (Wilcoxon test) the
numerator of the score test is exactly the numerator of the
Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney U test.

Frank

Peter Dalgaard-2 wrote

> On Jan 12, 2012, at 14:11 , Frank Harrell wrote:
>
>> The Kruskal-Wallis test is a special case of the proportional odds
>> ordinal
>> logistic model.
>
> Eh? Can you elaborate on that?
>
> I would expect that at best it is equivalent to some _test_ in a polr-type
> model. It is never really clear what the model is when some groups are
> different and others not.
>
>>  You can get any contrast you want by testing regression
>> coefficients.   In a couple of weeks the rms package's contrast function
>> will allow for individual confidence intervals of effects that together
>> have
>> a 0.05 type I error, by using the multcomp package (called automatically
>> from contrast.rms).
>> Frank
>>
>> Iasonas Lamprianou wrote
>>>
>>> Thank you for the result, I will have a look at the link.
>>>

>>> Dr. Iasonas Lamprianou
>>> Department of Social and Political Sciences
>>> University of Cyprus

-----
Frank Harrell