[R] is there an equivalent for #ifdef (C langage) in R

ikuzar razuki at hotmail.fr
Thu Jan 12 16:36:37 CET 2012

Hi,
I'd like to know if there is an equivalent for #ifdef (Clangage) in R. I 'd
like to do something like:

useDebug = defmacro(DEBUG, expr=(DEBUG==1))

if(useDebug(0)){
    #Here I do not use debug mode
     make_addition = function(a, b) {
        c=a+b
        plot(c)
        return(c)
    }
}else{
  #here I use debug mode
     c=a+b
}

I assume this would work... The problem is :
 if I have 15 lines of code in if{ } bloc I have to copy and paste these15
lines into else{} bloc. These is too many lines in my file...

Is there something like (in C langage):

#define DEBUG  1

#ifndef DEBUG
   make_addition = function(a, b) {
#endif
#ifdef DEBUG
   a = 1
   b = 2
#endif
   c=a+b
   plot(c)
#ifndef DEBUG
        return(c)
    }
#endif

my goal is to run my program  WITHOUT calling my_addition(1, 2) (for
debugging).  The main problem : all variables do not exist when just running
my _file.R   ,  I have to call my_function if I want to see results.

I use RStudio

Thanks for your help