[R] RODBC vs gdata

Christof Kluß ckluss at email.uni-kiel.de
Mon Jan 9 19:46:57 CET 2012

Hi Enrico,

thank you very much, so it is a known problem with the Microsoft Excel
ODBC drivers :(

"7 Excel Drivers
... There are at least two known problems with reading columns that do
not have a format set before data entry, and so start with format
`General'. First, the driver uses the first few rows to determined the
column type, and is over-fond of declaring `Numeric' even when there are
non-numeric entries. ... Second, if a column is declared as `Text',
numeric entries will be read as SQL nulls and hence R NAs.
Unfortunately, in neither case does reformatting the column help."

So I think I have to use "gdata" to be sure to read all datas.

regards
Christof