[R] using var from bash in R script

dood arulspam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 22:08:29 CET 2012

Dear R users,

This probably a really noob question, but I'm stuck. I'd like to pass some
variables from bash to R as strings. I can successfully pass variables using
commandArgs(), the problem is that I end up with an array. So, for example:

> Args <- commandArgs(TRUE)
> Args
[1] "one"   "two"   "three"

Now, it just so happens that "one", "two", "three" are names of columns that
I'd like to work with. I'd like to do something like this:

> print(summary(lm(Args[1] ~ Args[2])))

But, this doesn't work. The alternative would be to let bash write a number
of R-scripts and then rm them when done, but that seems like an unnecessary
step.

Can this be done?

Thanks