[R] RODBC installation: error message

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Wed Jan 4 15:02:56 CET 2012

Le mardi 03 janvier 2012 à 11:39 -0800, gregory benison a écrit :
> If one attempts to install RODBC (via install.packages('RODBC'))
> without having an ODBC driver installed, this error message results:
>
> checking sqlext.h presence... no
> checking for sqlext.h... no
> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
> * removing '/usr/lib/R/library/RODBC'
>
> Yes, the RODBC README describes the needed prerequisites, but for
> someone who just wants to use RODBC and tries to install it in the
> most natural way, i.e. from "R Installation and Administration":
>
> > For most users it suffices to call ‘install.packages(pkgname)’
I guess this applies only to users installing binary packages. If you
build packages from source, the build system runs ./configure, which
returns this automated message.

Ideally, you shouldn't need to build packages from source when all you
want is use them... (Distributions could ship binary packages that R
would detect and install automatically?)

Cheers