[R] RODBC installation: error message

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:08:37 CET 2012

On 12-01-03 2:39 PM, gregory benison wrote:
> If one attempts to install RODBC (via install.packages('RODBC'))
> without having an ODBC driver installed, this error message results:
>
> checking sqlext.h presence... no
> checking for sqlext.h... no
> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
> * removing '/usr/lib/R/library/RODBC'
>
> Yes, the RODBC README describes the needed prerequisites, but for
> someone who just wants to use RODBC and tries to install it in the
> most natural way, i.e. from "R Installation and Administration":
>
>> For most users it suffices to call ‘install.packages(pkgname)’
>
> the result is the above error message, which could be more informative.

RODBC is not my package, but I can say from experience that it's hard to
put together error messages that satisfy everyone.  Here, the problem is
that configuration couldn't find the files sql.h and sqlext.h, and
that's what the error says.  Not installing ODBC is one reason that
might happen; another is installing it improperly, and there are
probably others, too.  I think it's best if the error messages describe
the problems; trying to diagnose the solution is something that needs
human intervention.

One thing R could do better is to provide a standard way to view README
and similar files before installing a package.  That might have helped here.

Duncan Murdoch