[R] bmp() shifts the image (Windows XP)

William Simpson william.a.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 13:00:26 CET 2012

Duncan, I checked out as.raster as you suggested. However, I can't
find info on how to display and save a raster object. What a raster
object is eludes me. These were fruitless
 ?as.raster
 ?grDevices
 library(help="grDevices")
 ?windows
 ?savePlot

x<-as.raster(matrix(runif(n*n),nrow=n))

How to display x? plot(x) and image(x) don't work.
How to save the bitmap image x?

Not sure if I need to scale x to be in range 0-255 before doing as.raster().

I see that x contains elements like "#676767".
col2rgb("#676767")
      [,1]
red    103
green  103
blue   103
That doesn't help me display and save bitmap images.

I see there is a package called raster but I'd rather avoid it, given
my very simple needs. Maybe package pixmap will work, then convert the
saved images to .bmp (e.g. using Irfanview in batch mode).

Thanks very much for any help!
Bill