[R] Cran package directory 404 error since 30th December

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 2 10:04:41 CET 2012

On 02/01/2012 08:17, Graham Smith wrote:
> I have been getting a object not found error trying to access the CRAN
> package directory since the 30th December. I have tried several mirrors
> with the same error. A search here only shows a single question on this
> from anyone else (on the 30th December) which wasn't answered.
>
> I am surprised that there hasn't been more comment on this. Is there an
> announcement somewhere about this that I have missed, that say CRAN
> packages is down for maintenance or some other planned down time.

You missed the thread on R-devel.

The short answer is that this needs someone in Vienna to fix (people do
have vacations and take weekends off), and that the web/packages
directory is pure sugar: the packages are still there, the check results
are there ... just the summary pages are missing and they are accessible
via one (at least) of the mirrors.

The person whose message here was unanswered bombarded many people,
including CRAN and me personally, so did get several replies.