[R] R report generator (for Word)?

John jwd at surewest.net
Mon Jan 2 05:45:22 CET 2012

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 09:50:24 -0600
Michael <comtech.usa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Happy New Year all!
>
> I am looking for a good solution for keeping record of my experiments
> - could you please help me?

If you are working from scripts, which is a very good way to
standardize procedures as a work flow and analysis develop, I would
suggest checking sink() and cat().  Used properly these commands can be
used to capture screen output to text files.  These can then be opened
and formatted in Word or Office or Emacs or ... I use this method to
capture results of analyses of archaeological data. Use the device()
command to capture graphics to jpeg files, pdfs or other graphic
formats.

If you develop a script of your analysis, you will have a file that will
load data, carry out sequenced procedures, shoot the results to a text
file designated in sink() or cat(), and the results can then be
integrated into a word document.

Curiously, there are not many books about R that explicitly address
questions like capturing intermediate or final output from an analysis
to usable text.  The volumes I've found most useful are Modern Applied
Statistics with S, R Cookbook, and R in Action (these are not ordered
in order of usefulness). None go into anything like detail about the
process of actually producing report-quality output (except figures),
perhaps because the assumption is that the commands above will be used
to capture the statistical output for a report, which will then dealt
with externally to R.

JWD