[R] orthogonal distance regression package?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Feb 29 19:07:27 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Adam Waytz
<a-waytz at kellogg.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am extremely new to R and have found some leads to this question in the archives, but I am still a bit uncertain.
> I am looking for an R package to carry out orthogonal distance regression.  I found some answers regarding Deming
> regression and Total Least Squares regression, but I was unclear if these are identical terms.

In the age of Google?!

Searching on "orthogonal regression" brought up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_least_squares

which provides info. Sheesh!

I suggest you also check the ChemPhys and Econometrics task views on
CRAN to see what they have to offer.

Incidentally, my very limited understanding is that orthogonal
regression (for errors in variables) can be problematic. The wikipedia
article provides more details.

-- Bert

 Please let me know if