[R] Database

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 13:45:59 CET 2012

I don't use Access but my general impression is that the advantages it
brings will be similar to those brought by any other database:
performance rather than ability -- they are both Turing complete after
all, after some trickery on the SQL end.

Databases allow much larger data sets than R currently does and often
allow faster queries -- some would argue the SQL syntax is clearer for
some subsetting operations, but that's perhaps a function of
familiarity. For the task you describe, it should be elementary in
both platforms and I'd just use whichever one the data was already in.
For more substantive data analysis, you almost certainly want to use
R.

Others with Access experience (or more SQL) can add more.

Michael