[R] General question about GLMM and heterogeneity of variance

GibsonR rachel.gibson at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 13:21:50 CET 2012

My data have heterogeneity of variance (in a categorical variable), do I need
to specify a variance structure accounting for this in my model or do GLMMs
by their nature account for such heterogeneity (as a result of using
deviances rather than variances)? And if I do need to do this, how do I do
it (e.g. using something like the VarIdent function in nlme) and in what
package?

This is my first post so apologies for any breach of etiquette!