[R] help with winbugs glm

ilai keren at math.montana.edu
Fri Feb 24 18:02:19 CET 2012

My apologies to R-list members, this discussion diverged and is no
longer R related. Probably more fitting in one of the BUGS forums, but
I keep cc ing for any future interested reader that stumbled upon this
post in r-help.

Now to the point. Thank you so much for the reference, I was not aware
of this book. I will check it out as it seems can be useful for me
too.
However, compare McArthy's model to your own:
He is using Refuge[i] i=1,2,3 BUT ONLY AS A PLACE HOLDER for b[1:3] !!!
"... b[Refuge[i]]*Density[i]  " where density is numeric - this is as
you said ANCOVA - fitting different slopes to Density BY levels of
Refuge. Not the same thing as your
"...  b[Depth[i]] * Depth[i] "
Which is senseless as already discussed.
Side note, he can enter an explicit intercept "a" because it is the
estimate for the Med level, in the data he has dummy vars only for
Small and Large (e.g. in the first two columns of his design matrix,
lines 6 and 7 are 0 0 ). Thus, HIS model is identifiable.

Brad Efron (1986) said "Bayesian theory requires a great deal of
thought about the given situation to apply sensibly". And maybe this
is a good time to revisit another statement I think attributed to him:
"Recommending that scientists use Bayes’ theorem is like giving the
neighborhood kids the key to your F-16. "

Present company excluded :) as you seem to be more careful in your
application than some.

Cheers,
Elai

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Adan Jordan-Garza
<ajordangarza2009 at my.fit.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>
> model
> {
> a ~ dnorm(1.01, 24.826)
>
> # intercept
> b[1] ~ dnorm(0.628, 56.70) # effect of density at resource level 1 (low)
> b[2] ~ dnorm(0.488, 110.83) # effect of density at resource level 2 (medium)
> b[3] ~ dnorm(0.180, 70.144) # effect of density at resource level 3 (high)
> intnS[1] ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6) # interaction terms for small plots at 3 refuge
> densities
> intnS[2] ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
> intnS[3] ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
> intnL[1] ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6) # interaction terms for large plots at 3 refuge
> densities
> intnL[2] ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
> intnL[3] ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
> prec ~ dgamma(0.001, 0.001) # precision
> for (i in 1:25) # for each of the 25 plots
> {
> pred[i] <- a + b[Refuge[i]]*Density[i] +
> intnS[Refuge[i]]*Small[i]*Density[i] + intnL[Refuge[i]]*Large[i]*Density[i]
> Mortality[i] ~ dnorm(pred[i], prec)
> }
> }
> Initial values
> list(a=0, b=c(0,0,0), intnS=c(0,0,0), intnL=c(0,0,0), prec=1)
> Data
> Small[] Large[] Density[] Refuge[] Mortality[]
>
> 0 1 0.3125 1 1.6
>
> 1 0 0.75 1 0
>
> 0 1 0.75 1 2.22
>
> 1 0 1 1 1.19
>
> 1 0 1.25 1 5.19
>
> 0 0 1.5 1 1.73
>
> 0 0 1.9375 1 5.15
>
> 1 0 1 2 0.83
>
> 0 1 1.1875 2 1.44
>
> 0 0 1.375 2 1.5
>
> 0 0 1.4375 2 1.73
>
> 1 0 1.75 2 0
>
> 1 0 1.75 2 2.5
>
> 1 0 3.5 2 2.82
>
> 0 0 4 2 1.81
>
> 1 0 1.75 3 1.5
>
> 0 1 1.84375 3 1.33
>
> 1 0 2 3 1.66
>
> 1 0 2.25 3 0.73
>
> 0 0 2.5 3 1.6
>
> 0 1 3 3 1.99
>
> 1 0 3.25 3 1.09
>
> 1 0 4.25 3 1.54
>
> 1 0 5 3 1.6
>
> 1 0 5.5 3 1.73
>
> END
>

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Adan Jordan-Garza
> <ajordangarza2009 at my.fit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Ok this makes a lot of sense, thank you very much Ilai!
>> Cheers
>> Guillermo
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM, ilai <keren at math.montana.edu> wrote:

>>> You should read up on model identifiably or consult your local
>>> statistician for a complete explanation, especially if you are to be
>>> doing more analysis. An incomplete explanation just regarding your
>>> bugs code: you are estimating "a" (an overall mean) and the three
>>> levels b[1:3]. That's too much, you need to remove "a". Think what you
>>> are asking of bugs to estimate (I'll make up some numbers): for bugs,
>>> b[1] = 0
>>> b[2] = -2
>>> b[3] = -5
>>> is no different than
>>> a = 8
>>> b[1] = 2
>>> b[2] = 0
>>> b[3] = -3
>>> or
>>> a = 5
>>> b[1] = 5
>>> b[2] = 3
>>> b[3] = 0
>>>
>>> This is why you're getting large intervals - even with convergence
>>> etc. the MCMC is simply skipping between these options with no way to
>>> "identify" which is it since it knows the means for depths 1:3, but
>>> nothing about "a". a could be 100 and all others -99,-95 etc.
>>> Makes sense?
>>>
>>> It is, for e.g., the reason why summary(glm(y~Depth)) gave you
>>> intercept (in R the first level) and estimates for the DIFFERENCES of
>>> all other factor levels from the first. It was not just to make it
>>> harder on you, it's because the same idea holds for the frequentist
>>> approach.
>>>
>>> It runs ok (10000
>>>
>>> Like I said, winBugs may have some feature where it will build the
>>> design matrix internally, so you can pass categorical variables as
>>> column vectors (like R) but I seriously doubt it can guess your
>>> variable coded 1,2,3 is categorical. If you can reference an example
>>> like that from winBugs examples (not some random code from the
>>> Internet) I'd really appreciate it.
>>> What I think is happening is you're fitting
>>> y1 = 1b[1]  + e1
>>> y2 = 3b[3]  + e2
>>> y232 = ... + e232
>>>
>>> But why should b[3] be 3 times b[1] ? that makes no sense for
>>> categories. And the estimates are completely off (as you've noted in
>>> your post) not just large variance.
>>>
>>>  I have read about the matrix of dummy variables
>>>
>>> There are R2winbugs and other packages to let you run winbugs from R
>>> or pass the data. I don't use them so I don't know. At the end what
>>> you want is Depth to be a 3 column matrix, either the same as glm to
>>> get estimate of Depth1,Depth2-1,Depth3-1 :
>>> 1 0 0
>>> 1 0 0
>>> 1 1 0
>>> 1 1 0
>>> 1 0 1
>>> 1 0 1
>>>
>>> Or you could have an estimate for every depth:
>>> 1 0 0
>>> 1 0 0
>>> 0 1 0
>>> 0 1 0