[R] Advice on exploration of sub-clusters in hierarchical dendrogram

kosmo7 dnicolgr at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 24 00:20:49 CET 2012

Dear Elai,
thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried cutting the dendrogram
instead of the hclust tree with:
clusters<-cut(x, h=1.6)

but then when I try to call/plot cluster 1 for example, with:
plot(clusters$lower[[1]])

I get only 2 members that are joined together at distance=0  (cluster 1 for
instance, consists of several hundred of members).
So it looks like / plot(clusters$lower[[1]])/ only calls the very first node
of the tree and not the content of the respective cluster [[1]] at the
defined cutoff=1.6. Maybe /cut/ instead of /cutree/ doesnt do the work? Or
maybe I am just doing something  wrong?...

In another post I read that with /df[value %in% v, ] / I can extract
specific subsets of a data frame/table. Maybe I could use this to extract
only the distances of members of a specific cluster as defined by cutree
from the initial distance matrix? But still, I am afraid I don't get what I
should use as /value/ and /v/....