[R] tapply for enormous (>2^31 row) matrices

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:39:40 CET 2012

Thank you all very much for your help (on both the r-help and the
bioconductor listserves).

Benilton - I couldn't get sqldf to install on the server I'm using
(error is: Error : package 'gsubfn' does not have a name space). I
think this was a problem for R 2.13, and I'm trying to get the admin's
to install a more up-to-date version. I know that I need to probably
learn a modicum of SQL given the sizes of datasets I'm using now.

I ended up using a modified version of Hervé Pagès' excellent code
(thank you!). I got a huge (40-fold) speed bump by using the
data.table package for indexing/aggregate steps, making an hours long
job a minutes long job. SO - read.table is hugely useful if you're
dealing with indexing/apply-family functions on huge datasets. By the
way, I'm not sure why, but read.table was a bit faster than scan for
this problem... Here is the code for others:

require(data.table)

computeAllPairSums <- function(filename, nbindiv,nrows.to.read)
{
   con <- file(filename, open="r")
   on.exit(close(con))
   ans <- matrix(numeric(nbindiv * nbindiv), nrow=nbindiv)
   chunk <- 0L
   while (TRUE) {
       #read.table faster than scan
       df0 <- read.table(con,col.names=c("ID1", "ID2", "ignored", "sharing"),
                colClasses=c("integer", "integer", "NULL",
"numeric"),nrows=nrows.to.read,comment.char="")

       DT <- data.table(df0)
       setkey(DT,ID1,ID2)
       ss <- DT[,sum(sharing),by="ID1,ID2"]

       if (nrow(df0) == 0L)
           break

       chunk <- chunk + 1L
       cat("Processing chunk", chunk, "... ")

      idd <- as.matrix(subset(ss,select=1:2))
      newvec <- as.vector(as.matrix(subset(ss,select=3)))
      ans[idd] <- ans[idd] + newvec

         cat("OK\n")
     }
   ans