[R] why is generating the same graph???

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Thu Feb 23 12:44:40 CET 2012

The usual - in fact probably the only - explanation for the same graph is that the same data set is plotted.

This can happen by mistake for lots of reasons, all associated with the operator. Check that:
- you have no error messages on file reading. if read.table fails, the initial data set will not be replaced, and R will plot the data set by that name.
- your script is actually plotting the data set you are reading; it is surprisingly easy to get names wrong by a character and not notice
- that you are reading the right file
- that the files you are reading contain different data
- that the differences are in column 1 of the data set and not in another column
- if you're plotting inside a function, check that the data plotted has the name of the argument and not the name of an object somewhere else in your workspace (This happens often when testing scripts; if we say f<-function(x) plot(y)   and then run f using, say, f(z), the function will plot y if it exists in the parent environment for the function. It's not unusual to have created a temporary y (or whatever) to test the code...