[R] breaks display of hist

Rui Barradas rui1174 at sapo.pt
Tue Feb 21 17:11:51 CET 2012

Hello,

carol white wrote

> Hello,
> How can I display the xlim of the boundaries of all or specific breaks in
> a histogram? I generated the attached plot with hist and would like to
> know which values of x correspond to the frequency 329 and display these
> values on the x axis?
>
> Best,
>
> carol

Maybe I'm making a confusion with your 'breaks' and 'frequency 329' so here
go both:

dev.new()
h <- hist(x)
# This plots the values of 'x' in the bin with freq 21
# (There's no freq 329 in this vector 'x')
b.lower <- which(h$breaks == h$breaks[h$counts == 21])
x.lower <- h$breaks[b.lower]
x.upper <- h$breaks[b.lower + 1]
rug(x[x > x.lower & x <= x.upper])

dev.new()
h <- hist(x, axes=FALSE)
axis(1, at=h$breaks)
axis(2, at=pretty(h$counts))
# This plots the values of 'x' in the bin (329, 329.5]
# (Starting at break 329, left open, right closed, see '?hist')
b.lower <- which(h$breaks == 329)
x.lower <- h$breaks[b.lower]
x.upper <- h$breaks[b.lower + 1]
rug(x[x > x.lower & x <= x.upper])

If you don't want a rug, maybe you could try adding the following to the
previous graph

points(x[x > x.lower & x <= x.upper], 1:h$counts[b.lower])

Or maybe a combination of some of the above. See the return value of

?hist

and ?axis, ?rug, ?points, ?par.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas