[R] overlay of two sets of boxplots

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 20:20:47 CET 2012

On Feb 20, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Mirjam Appel wrote:

> Hello John,
> Thanks for your fast answer. I will try to be clearer and more
> detailed this time. At the moment I am importing a dataframe like
> below as a '.csv file'. I want to generate a boxplot for M and F
> values grouped by X whereby boxplots for M and F should be above or
> very close to each other.  Please see attachment for example figure.
> Till now I have tried a code that looks like the one below the frame
> (I found it in the graph help of R for boxes close to each other):

I think you must have missed the spot in whatever example code you are
following for your homework task where they reshaped this data so that
it was in long format. Go back into your text and read it more
carefully and if it's not clear, then pose further questions to your
instructor.

> X	M	                 F
> Exp1	-90.0273224	-77.66531714
> Exp1	-73.33333333	-96.36363636
> Exp1	-98.24561404	-91.57848325
> Exp1	-65.2173913	-59.18367347
> Exp1	-98.7654321	-92.42424242
> Exp1	-96.42857143	-89.25925926
> Exp2	-84.61538462     -47.36842105
> Exp2	-43.63636364     -22.37762238
> Exp2	-47.5	               -33.33333333
> Exp2	-55.49450549	-66.66666667
>
>> boxplot(
>    formula = F~Strain,
>    data    = pain,
>    boxwex  = 0.25,
>    at      = 1:38 - 0.1,
>    subset  =supp== "F",

Clearly the "strain" variable was created in the process of reshaping
and the "supp" variable as well.

--
david.

David Winsemius, MD