[R] JGR Segmentation fault

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Feb 19 16:13:06 CET 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 2:48 AM, dberringer wrote:

> I have been trying to get JGR up and running but so far no luck.  I installed
> R from source using the homebrew package manager and everything works fine
> and I was able to install JGR and all its dependencies.  Every time I try to
> start JGR I get the error below.  Any idea why I'm getting the Segmentation
> fault?  Thanks.

There are a few fishy things in your output (apart form using homebrew R which has its issues):
a) you get permission denied in the library of your installed R
b) you are using CRAN R's library path in your home - so potentially you may have a clash of CRAN packages vs homebrew
I would strongly recommend using CRAN R to make your life easier. We don't officially support homebrew R (it is a home brew after all ;)) so you may need to change the launcher if it doesn't follow the same layout as CRAN R. Also it could be an issue in homebrew R - we have seen random segfaults in it before. Finally, if you use Apple's gcc-4.2 and don't disable OpenMP in R it will segfault in any threaded code, including JGR, due to bugs in the old gomp that come with gcc-4.2 (but that comes usually much later when you actually use R).

Cheers,
Simon