[R] Hoe to resample matrices to test for the robustness of their correlation

camilleislande camille at mail.holar.is
Fri Feb 17 18:30:29 CET 2012

Hello
I have several populations where I have morphology and diet for each
individual. I am interested in the correlation between diet and
morphological distances. However the number of individuals in each
population ranges from 22 to 80 individuals. I have looked at the
correlation diet-morphology for each population and (not surprisingly) the
correlation coefficientis is highly correlated with the number of
individuals per population.

I would like to resample (without replacement) the populations with 60-80
individuals and get random samplings of  30 individuals (1000 times). I
would like to get a correlation coefficient distribution against which to
test the original value of the correlation.

I guess it is possible do this, however I have never written a script in R
and I am not familiar with resampling techniques at all. Any help with
coding will be greatly appreciated

Thank you