[R] Color cells of a matrix as in Excel

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 01:01:39 CET 2012

A minimum code to plot a coloured matrix with text labels could be the
following:

library(grid)
library(scales)
library(RColorBrewer)

diverging_palette <- function(d = NULL, centered = FALSE, midpoint = 0,
                              colors = brewer.pal(7,"PRGn")){

  half <- length(colors)/2

  if(!length(colors)%%2) stop("requires odd number of colors")

  values <-  if(centered) {
    low <- seq(min(d), midpoint, length=half)
    high <- seq(midpoint, max(d), length=half)
    c(low[-length(low)], midpoint, high[-1])
  } else {
    mabs <- max(abs(d - midpoint))
    seq(midpoint-mabs, midpoint + mabs, length=length(colors))
  }

  gradient_n_pal(colors, values = values)

}

matrixGrob <- function(d){

  nc <- ncol(d)
  nr <- nrow(d)

  palet <- diverging_palette(d, center=FALSE)

  fill.matrix <- palet(d)
  dim(fill.matrix) <- dim(d)

  ## matrix of square tiles
  rg <- rasterGrob(fill.matrix, width=unit(1, "npc"), height=unit(1,
"npc"), interpolate = FALSE)
  ## position of the labels
  xy <- expand.grid(y = rescale(seq_len(nr), c(0.5/nr, 1 - 0.5/nr)   ),
                    x = rescale(seq_len(nc), c(0.5/nc, 1 - 0.5/nc))
                    )

  ## text
  tg <- textGrob(label=round(d, 3), x=xy$x, y= 1 - xy$y, def="npc")

  gTree(children=gList(rg, tg))
}

grid.matrix <- function(d)
  grid.draw(matrixGrob(d))

d <- cbind(x=rnorm(10), y=rnorm(10))
grid.newpage()
grid.matrix(d)

I don't think it would be very hard to adapt to your needs, basically
you need to add rownames on top, apply() the scale to each column
independently (as opposed to the full matrix at the moment) and
combine the results in a fill.matrix. Having one colour scale across
the matrix makes more sense, imho.

HTH,

b.