[R] Plotting function image

uday uday_143_4u at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:36:15 CET 2012

I have some data set which has latitude, longitude and Z values.
I would like to plot them on global map.
I am thinking to use image
image(x, y, z, zlim, xlim, ylim, col = heat.colors(12),
      add = FALSE, xaxs = "i", yaxs = "i", xlab, ylab,
      breaks, oldstyle = FALSE, useRaster = FALSE, ...)

here I have x = longitude
                       y= latitude
                      z = z

but z suppose to be matrix but my z values are  single array , could
somebody please tell me how to convert these single array of z to matrix ?