[R] sequencing environments

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 13:04:50 CET 2012

On 12-02-14 12:34 AM, Ben quant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can get at environments if I know their names, but what if want to look
> at what environments currently exist at some point in a script? In other
> words, if I don't know what environments exist and I don't know their
> sequence/hierarchy, how do I display a visual representation of the
> environments and how they relate to one another?

Environments are objects and most of them are maintained in the same
places as other objects (including some obscure places, such as in
structures maintained only in external package code), so it's not easy
to generate a complete list.

> I'm looking at getting away from the package R.oo and using R in normal
> state, but I need a way to "check in on" the status and organization of my
> environments.
>
> I've done considerable research on R's environments, but its a challenging
> thing to google and come up with meaningful results.

I would suggest reading the technical documentation:  the R Language
manual, the R Internals manual, and some of the papers on the "Technical
papers" page.

Duncan Murdoch