[R] How to import time-series data

RichardSmith richardsmith404 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:35:08 CET 2012

Gabor Grothendieck wrote

> Something seems to have gone wrong in the posting since we can't see
> the sample data that seems to be intended to be part of the post.
Sorry, I posted via Nabble using the 'raw' command, which got stripped out
it seems. Here's a small sample of the data...
plant,aphid,1,2,3,4
pumpkin,1-2,0.065566,0.057844,0.08,0.086879
pumpkin,1-3,0.107612,0.097272,0.11663,0.160499
squash,1-4,0.126939,0.115003,0.140275,0.188829

columns named 1,2,3,4 etc. correspond to the weight of an aphid after that
many days on that plant. I want to be able to plot the growth of all aphids
on one plot, grouped by plant.

Gabor Grothendieck wrote
> At any rate read.zoo in the zoo package can read series.  You may need to
> use the split= argument if your file defines multiple series tagged by
> an id column.  See ?read.zoo and the Reading Data in Zoo vignette
> which is online here
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/zoo/index.html
> and is an entire document devoted to reading time series.  Alternately
> its available in R through the vignette("zoo-read") command.

Thanks for the link. I can't see any example in the zoo.read vignette which
looks similar. Do I need to transpose my data first, so dates are in one
column? If I do that, how do I keep the plant grouping associated with each
aphid?

Many thanks