[R] Embed R code in online database

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Feb 12 11:14:53 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Jokel Meyer <jokel.meyer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear R-List!
>
> I would like to embed R code in an online database such as i.e. a google
> spreadsheet in way that users can add data to the database and that R's
> calculations are updated automatically and i.e. given out in the
> spreadsheet. Maybe even graphs could be updated online? Is there a way to
> implement this?

 There's no way to integrate R into a google spreadsheet as tightly
as, say, letting you put R expressions into formulae for cells.

 There's also, I think, no way to trigger an external action when a
spreadsheet is modified or saved.

 So, I think the only thing you can do, is to periodically check if
the spreadsheet is modified, run an R script, and upload the modified
data to Google.

 I'm not sure what the current state-of-the-art interface from R to
google docs is. Maybe
http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rgoogledata/

Barry