[R] Combining two or more KML files in R

z2.0 zack.abrahamson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 06:10:24 CET 2012

Wanted to post an exchange with Roger Bivand on combining KML files.

I had hoped to combine multiple KML files into a single
SpatialPolygonsDataFrame. I used readOGR to bring files into R; had I worked
with .shp files, I might've used readShapePoly and a unique IDvar. SPRbind
construction would have followed.

Turns out I needed to review spChFIDs-methods in the sp package. Roger said,
'they let you assign row.names to the geometries and the data slot
data.frame consistently.'

Zack