[R] apply pairs function to multiple columns in a data frame

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 10 22:45:17 CET 2012

A good way to solve problems like this is to write a function that
will work with one variable, and then use one of the apply family
of functions (in this case sapply) to do it for each of your
variables.  In this case, such a function would be something like
this:

make1plot = function(var){
     jpeg(paste(var,'jpg',sep='.'))
     pairs(Sunset[,c(var,names(Sunset)[1:10])],main=paste(var,'vs. explanatory variables'),
           panel=panel.smooth)
     dev.off()
}

(Notice that indexing precludes the need for cbind when you're creating a
sub-matrix.)

Now suppose the names of your dependent variables are stored in a vector
called "deps".  Then

sapply(deps,make1plot)

should do what you want.

I couldn't test this, since you didn't provide a reproducible example.  If you
use this list often, you'll find that providing a reproducible example goes a
long way towards getting a good answer.
 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics