[R] Row-wise kronecker product with Matrix package

ilai keren at math.montana.edu
Thu Feb 9 18:37:29 CET 2012

Maybe one of these will improve:
>help.search('kronecker')
spam::kronecker         Kronecker Products on Sparse Matrices
spam::spam.class        Class "spam"
base::kronecker         Kronecker Products on Arrays
Matrix::kronecker-methods
                        Methods for Function 'kronecker()' in Package
                        'Matrix'

I doubt it because they will calculate the "full" Kronecker prod and
it will be up to you to index the rows, but you never know...

 system.time(A[, rep(seq(ncol(A)), each = ncol(B))] *
B[,rep(seq(ncol(B)),ncol(A))])
   user  system elapsed
  0.016   0.000   0.019
> system.time(kronecker(A,B)[c(1,4),])
   user  system elapsed
  0.008   0.000   0.008
> system.time(spam::kronecker(A,B)[c(1,4),])
   user  system elapsed
  0.008   0.000   0.009

Cheers