[R] Version control (git, mercurial) for R packages

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:33:05 CET 2012

On 09/02/12 10:09, baptiste auguie wrote:
> Once upon a time r-forge had the option to sync from an external
> svn repository, e.g. hosted on googlecode. I haven't seen it
> available for some time, sadly. I'm sure many users would
> appreciate if this feature came back with the new interface. Not
> sure if it could work with git as well, though.

One option is obviously to use a local git repo and then use git svn -
but my ideal setup would be to have one "development repo" on
git(hub), and one package release repo on r-forge, and whenever I
decide "yes, that is a release", branch it on git and push this to
r-forge.
By doing this, r-forge only contains releases, and git(hub) the
development history.

But thinking about it, a different r-forge VCS backend (git) would
also be an option.

Why was that option scraped?

Rainer

> b.

> Nice link - but I can't follow it.
>
> Actual Situation: - Package on r-forge
>
> Want to have: - git (github?) repo as my main cvs and - branch
> (release_x.y.z) for new release for r-forge - push branch
> release_x.y.z to r-forge to do it's magic.
>
> So there are two initial steps: 1) Initial import of r-forge repo
> to git(hub) (should be easy) 2) setup of local git repo for
> package (is easy)
>
> and then github is used as VCS
>
> When a release should be done, the following needs to be done: -
> branch on git (easy) - push new branch to r-forge (how?)
>
> now how could this be done easily?
>
> can I do this with
>
> git svn commit
>
> ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

>> provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa