[R] Troubles with stemming (tm + Snowball packages) under MacOS

Dom freedom4 at mac.com
Thu Feb 9 03:41:11 CET 2012

Hi, I'm having the same problem, but the aforementioned solution didn't work
for me. I keep getting an error message and the Stemmer is still reportedly
unknown. See code below. Please let me know if I'm overlooking anything.
Thanks.

> Sys.setenv(NOAWT=TRUE)

> library(tm)

> library(Snowball)

> library(RWeka)

> library(rJava)

> library(RWekajars)

> data("crude")

> stemDocument(crude[[1]])

Error in .jnew(name) :
  java.lang.InternalError: Can't start the AWT because Java was started on
the first thread.  Make sure StartOnFirstThread is not specified in your
application's Info.plist or on the command line
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): RmiJdbc.RJDriver - Warning, not in
CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): jdbc.idbDriver - Warning, not in
CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver - Warning, not
in CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): com.mckoi.JDBCDriver - Warning, not in
CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver - Warning, not
in CLASSPATH?

> stemDocument(crude[[1]])

Stemmer 'porter' unknown!
Diamond Shamrock Corp said that
effective today it had cut its contract prices for crude oil by
1.50 dlrs a barrel.
    The reduction brings its posted price for West Texas
Intermediate to 16.00 dlrs a barrel, the copany said.
    "The price reduction today was made in the light of falling
oil product prices and a weak crude oil market," a company
spokeswoman said.
    Diamond is the latest in a line of U.S. oil companies that
have cut its contract, or posted, prices over the last two days
citing weak oil markets.
 Reuter
Stemmer 'english' unknown!