[R] using mclapply (multi core apply) to do matrix multiplication

Ernest Adrogué nfdisco at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:36:34 CET 2012

 7-02-2012, 03:32 (-0800); Alaios escriu:
> I wouldl ike to thank you for your response. The hardest part in the
> installation is to find a BLAS library to install. If I understand
> it right once I install BLAS then I only need to change a flag in
> the ./configure of R installation..
>

> Our system is running opensuse and has intel cores. according to the
> link here http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#BLAS
>
> I ahve to find a proper BLAS library to installll.. In the
> explanation for the different alternatives seem that most of those
> are not implemented any more and other require special configuration
> :(

This article includes an overview of different BLAS libraries along
with benchmarks:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gcbd/vignettes/gcbd.pdf

It looks like using single-threaded ATLAS is already an improvement
over LAPACK in most cases. I use Debian and it's straightforward to
replace one with the other: you only have to install the
libatlas3gf-base package and remove liblapack3gf and libblas3gf.

Unfortunately, Debian does not include a multi-threaded version of
ATLAS although they provide instructions on how to recompile the
package yourself with multi-threading enabled.

I don't know about SUSE, sorry.

--
Bye,
Ernest