[R] UTF8

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 19:47:08 CET 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Norma wrote:

> As far as I can see it, those are two problems. The "default locale"
> and the
> language problem. I have exactly the same, I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8.
>
> I have also tried installation of packages. When installing a
> package I get
> a related error message:
>
> *tar: Failed to set default locale*

You should include details about the name of the package , the
repository where you got it and the R console commands you issued. The
error message makes me wonder if you are trying to install a source
package without the correct settings and software, but that is very
much a wild guess in the absence of those missing elements.

> if I enter
> * Sys.getlocale()*
> the results is
> *[1]="C"*

It would be much better if you abandoned the convention of sticking
asterisks at the ends of output. People cannot tell whether those are
actually there. (I suspect not on the basis of my experience.)

> so, I guess I have to tell R that the default system disk it shall
> work with
> is "Macintosh HD" ... but how do I do that?
>
> Additionally I have this language/ASCII problem, and the help
> suggested by
> the R Cran Project (to enter
>
> *defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG 'en_US'.UTF-8*)

My settings do not have the single quotes around:   en_US.UTF-8

> does not work. I get the message
>
> *Error: unexpected symbol in "defaults write"*

Tjat looks like an R message. It appears you are entering that string
at the R console. It is only going to work if you use it in a Terminal
session ( _without_ the asterisks and probably _without_ the
unnecessary single quotes.)

> I am new to R and just installed it onto my computer, after a basic
> training
> course ... maybe someone could help us?

You appear to also need to spend time studying the Mac OS, since you
are conflating OS commands with R commands. I suggest you first  read
through the Mac R FAQ before doing anything more to alter your system
settings.