[R] latex \subfloat{} incompatible with sweave/knitr code

Duncan Mackay mackay at northnet.com.au
Thu Aug 30 06:06:28 CEST 2012

Hi Yihui

For figures in latex my bible is
Keith Reckdahl Using Imported Graphics in LATEX and pdfLATEX Version
3.0.1 January 12, 2006
I think there is a 2009 version but I cannot find it

Below is an example of a 3 X 1 figure

\begin{figure}[h]
\centering
% Figure A
\subfloat[A]{
\label{subfig:continued:S13a} %% label ref sub A
\includegraphics[height=4in,%
                  clip=true,%
                  trim=0in 0in 0in 0in,% LBRT
                  keepaspectratio=true]%
                  {OV02a.pdf}
% caption
\caption[Regression diagnostic test plot: individual farms]%
{Regression diagnostic test plot: individual farms}%
\label{fig:continued:OV2a} %% label for first figure
\end{figure}
%
% Figure B
\begin{figure}[!h]
\ContinuedFloat
\centering
\subfloat[B]{
\label{subfig:continued:S13b} %% label ref subfig B
\includegraphics[height=4in,%
                  clip=true,%
                  trim=0in 0in 0in 0in,% LBRT
                  keepaspectratio=true]%
                  {OV02b.pdf}
% caption
\caption[Regression diagnostic test plot: individual farms]%
{Regression diagnostic test plot: individual farms }%
\label{fig:continued:OV2b} %% label for second figure
\end{figure}
%
% Figure C
\begin{figure}[!h]
\ContinuedFloat
\centering
\subfloat[C]{
\label{subfig:continued:S13c} %% label subfig C
\includegraphics[height=4in,%
                  clip=true,%
                  trim=0in 0in 0in 0in,% LBRT
                  keepaspectratio=true]%
                  {OV02c.pdf}
% caption
\caption[Regression diagnostic test plot: individual farms]%
{Regression diagnostic test plot for individual farms}%
\label{fig:continued:OV2c} %% label for 3 figure
\end{figure}
\clearpage

the code also works with sidewaysfigure
At first I had problems with getting the subcaptions right - I think
this is right
In the subfig label I added the figure 'number' S13 to avoid
duplicating if more than one in a tex file
There may be other variants but see     Reckdahl - you may have to
change things slightly for spacing
I have amended it to omit \Sexpr values within

HTH

Duncan

Duncan Mackay
Department of Agronomy and Soil Science