[R] variable scope

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Wed Aug 29 21:09:17 CEST 2012

> * Duncan Murdoch <zheqbpu.qhapna at tznvy.pbz> [2012-08-29 10:30:10 -0400]:
>
> On 29/08/2012 12:50 AM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> > * Duncan Murdoch <zheqbpu.qhapna at tznvy.pbz> [2012-08-28 21:06:33 -0400]:

>> > Sorry, I didn't realize you were just a troll
>>
>> I am not.
>>
>> I am referring here to a very specific deficiency which plagues all
>> non-moving GCs.

I guess "non-compacting GC" might be a more common expression.

> I think you're a troll because you're making false statements, such as
> that gc in R cannot release small objects, without any evidence in
> support of them.

This is common knowledge, discussed, e.g., here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general:256174

Whether R GC "cannot release small objects" or "cannot reuse the
fragmented memory after it releases the small objects" is
inconsequential: R consumes RAM which it cannot use.

Again, this is a common deficiency in all memory management systems
which do not compact their storage; something studied in CS101.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://iris.org.il http://americancensorship.org