[R] limit on vector size allocation

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 20:49:10 CEST 2012

On Aug 29, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Siddeek, Shareef (DFG) wrote:

>    Hi,
> Can someone help me on the following problem?
> I have nearly 103,000 records with 22 variables (some are factors).
> When I ran a stepwise glm on the data set, the R program stops with
> an error message

Stepwise methods are statistically suspect. The fact that they are
easy to do in SAS or SPSS is not evidence against the prior sentence.

> "Error: cannot allocate vector of size 171.3Mb."
>
> I have an R 2.12.0 on my PC (Windows XP) with a maximum 4Gb RAM.

You appear to have the machine resources to handle the problem, but
probably have too much other "stuff" (running programs, open windows,
etc)  in your system at this time that is occupying memory, this
preventing R from having contiguous memory that can hold your data
object. You should exit R, update R to a current version, restart your
computer, do not run any other applications, ... restart R and redo
this analysis.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA