[R] return first index for each unique value in a vector

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 01:21:08 CEST 2012

HI,

I was thinking about duplicated().  But, Bert already posted the solution.  The solution below is not very efficient.
A<-c(9,2,9,5)
unik<-as.numeric(names(table(A)))
match(unik,A)
#[1] 2 4 1

#Bert's solution wins here.
system.time({
set.seed(1)
A<-sample(1:5,1e6,replace=TRUE)
unik <- !duplicated(A)  ## logical vector of unique values
seq_along(A)[unik]  ## indices
A[unik]})
 user  system elapsed
  0.040   0.016   0.056
#My solution
system.time({
set.seed(1)
A<-sample(1:5,1e6,replace=TRUE)
#unik<-as.numeric(names(table(A)))
match(as.numeric(names(table(A))),A)})
 user  system elapsed
 0.344   0.036   0.383
#Robert's solution
 system.time({
set.seed(1)
A<-sample(1:5,1e6,replace=TRUE)
as.numeric(rownames(unique(data.frame(A)[1])))})
 user  system elapsed
  0.056   0.012   0.069
A.K.