[R] R Download 'Permission Denied'

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 28 17:24:05 CEST 2012

On 28-08-2012, at 16:57, TwistedSkies wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am receiving a 'Permission Denied' error when trying to use the R Download
> funtion.
>
> I am wondering if this is a:
>
> - Error in the code
> - Permissions issue at source
> - Permissions issue at destination.
>
> If you could shed any light on this it would be very much appreciated, below
> is a sample of the code.
>

> Code
>
> download.file("http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/api/AL092012_029adv_CONE.kmz",
> "C:\\Users\\jones\\Desktop")
> print("Downloaded File")
>
> Error
>
> Error in
> download.file("http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/api/AL092012_029adv_CONE.kmz",
> :
>  cannot open destfile C:\\Users\\jones\\Desktop, reason 'Permission denied'

If you read the description of the destfile argument of download.file

destfile	A character string with the name where the downloaded file is saved. Tilde-expansion is performed.

the error in your code is that you specified a directory as destination. It must be a file: ""C:\\Users\\jones\\Desktop\\downloadedfile.kmz".