[R] Why was my R process killed spontaneously?

Thu Aug 23 23:06:14 CEST 2012

Yes. Operating systems kill processes that consume excessive resources. That excess may arise from one large computation or from a small one on top of many other allocations... the "straw that broke the camel's back" problem.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing