[R] negative AIC and BIC values in gls

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Aug 23 07:05:18 CEST 2012

Inline.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Jeremy Miles <jeremy.miles at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's fine. Just interpret them as you would any other (lower is better).

I don't think so. I believe all 3 values are the negative of what they
should be. AIC is defined as -2*log(L) + k*{degrees of freedom for
model) . BIC is similar (different k's). This should be positive and,
as you said, the smaller the better. So if the signs are reversed,
models with lower absolute AIC and BIC -- bigger negative AIC and BIC
-- is what you want.

However, this really needs comment by an expert, which I ain't. I also
suggest you post to r-sig-mixed-models, since gls is an nlme function.

Cheers,
Bert