[R] A LaTeX question -- Hope people won't mind

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Aug 20 22:27:42 CEST 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Paul Miller <pjmiller_57 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Hope people won't mind my posting a LaTeX question here. I know a lot of people who use R are also using LaTeX. I'm in a bit of a rush to complete a document and am having trouble with one aspect of the formatting.
>
> I'm creating a list of tables using:
>
> \listoftables
>
> I also have some table captions that contain the number of patients in an anlysis like:
>
> \caption{Results for Random Forest Model Using Scoring Data (N = 700)}
>
> The tables look great. Trouble is that LaTeX inserts the "(N = 700)" into the text in the List of Tables at the beginning of the document. I'd prefer that it not do so.
>
> Is there some simple way to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

See this page:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Floats,_Figures_and_Captions#Lists_of_figures_and_tables

The \caption command has primarily two arguments:

  \caption[short text]{long text}

Note that the first part, within the square brackets, will be the text included in the list of tables.

So in your example above:

  \caption[Results for Random Forest Model Using Scoring Data]
          {Results for Random Forest Model Using Scoring Data (N = 700)}

Regards,

Marc Schwartz