[R] jpeglib.h not found

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Aug 20 21:19:13 CEST 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 11:08 AM, Debarghya Mukherjee <deb.mukherjee46 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear sir,
>              For my statistical work I have installed R. But for
> analyzing an image in R I have to install jpeg packages. So I have to
> input command install.packages(‘jpeg’). But error occurred: jpeglib.h
> file not found. What should I do? I use fedora 17.Please help me.

You are missing the 'devel' companion to the libjpeg-turbo package, which contains the header files, among other things.

As root or via sudo, you should run:

  yum install libjpeg-turbo-devel

at the Linux (not R) command line.

That should solve the problem. Additional information is also available in the R Installation and Administration Manual in Appendix A:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Essential-and-useful-other-programs-under-a-Unix_002dalike

Also, as an FYI, there is a Fedora specific R e-mail list at: