[R] What makes R different from other programming languages?

Matthias Gondan matthias-gondan at gmx.de
Mon Aug 20 20:28:50 CEST 2012

My vote:

1. Symbolic function arguments:

fn = function(a, b)
{
     a/b
}

fn(b=10, a=2)

2. Names for elements of a vector and matrices

v = c(a=1, b=2)

same for matrices

3. about 10,000 user-contributed packages on CRAN

4. weird things like

a = numeric(10)
a[1:10] = 1:2
<no error message>
answer: five times 1:2

which guarantee happy debugging

5. and, of course, much built-in statistical stuff