[R] Upgrading Ubuntu from 11.10 to 12.04: Problem with r-base-dev?

Mon Aug 20 17:24:27 CEST 2012

Like most Ubuntu/R users, you probably have a CRAN mirror in your sources.list. Ubuntu comments out all third-party sources during an upgrade to avoid debugging nightmares where the third-party software interferes with Ubuntu standard package upgrade scripts.  This net result is that R generally is uninstalled during the upgrade and you have to repeat the setup of the repository in sources.list after the upgrade is complete.

Note that your home directory contents are basically untouched during the upgrade, so your working files and personal R libraries should be unaffected by the uninstall/install of R.

disclaimer: It works for me. As always, YMMV so backup anything you are concerned about losing due to Ubuntu coding errors or your own errors.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing