[R] Error: ReadItem: unknown type 98, perhaps written by later version of R

Aldi Kraja aldi at dsgmail.wustl.edu
Tue Aug 21 17:09:20 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am running a large number of jobs (thousands) in parallel (linux OS
64bit), R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22), Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
(64-bit). Up to yesterday everything ran fine with jobs in several
blocks (block1, block2 etc) of submission. They are sent to an LSF
platform to handle the parallel submission. Today I see that only one of
the blocks (the 19) has not finished correct:
It reports in the out file:

Error: ReadItem: unknown type 98, perhaps written by later version of R
Execution halted

Checking through google one had recommended rm ~/.RData
I applied it, but the run again fails, when submitting through SAS for
block 19.

[SAS in macro lang.] %sysexec bsub R CMD BATCH &fullpath./dc19at&j..R
&fullpath.dc19at&j..out ;
[SAS ] %sysexec sleep 3 ;
   <looping through jobs in a block>

If I go to the directory where the R program and the data reside and
apply the same command by hand

R CMD BATCH dc19at1.R dc19at1.out
it works with no problem.

But if I use a similar program (SAS program)

that has been executing the same command successfully for thousand of
jobs in other blocks, the jobs for the block 19 fail.

Error: ReadItem: unknown type 98, perhaps written by later version of R
Execution halted

even in the one I just mentioned if I execute by hand goes well.

Do you know what could be the cause of bsub submission to fail? Any remedy?

Thank you in advance,

Aldi