[R] creation of package failed

Franckx Laurent laurent.franckx at vito.be
Tue Aug 14 10:16:17 CEST 2012

Thanks for the quick response.

Concerning your first point: the spaces in " Inno Setup 5" are not spaces between different directories, this was just the name of the directory as suggested during the installation procedure. Anyway, I have now added underscores between the individual words in the directory name and in the path definition.

Second, let me try to be more specific.

Basically, what I have done is modifying a few functions in an existing package, in order to test whether my modifications would be an improvement compared to the existing functionalities. I have therefore kept most of the package as it was, including the folder structure. I have never encountered any difficulties with the installation of the old package.

However, in order to avoid confusion between the existing package (let's call it "oldpackage") and my trials (let's call them "newpackage"), I have modified the name of the file with R code that contains the modified functions. I have also given a separate name to my package, and I have modified the NAMESPACE accordingly.

The original package also contained C++ code, which was duly put in the "src" folder. When I first tried to build my package, I had forgotten to first delete the  dll created when "oldpackage" was built and I got warnings that the "dll" files had not been declared. I have deleted them now. (I is not completely clear to me whether I should run "R CMD SHLIB firstccfile.cc secondccfile.cc -o newpackage.dll" or not - I have tried to do both with and without).

Now, when I run "R CMD build Y:\Unit_TEM\3_TRAM\Projecten\N9393_ruimte_transport_model\newpackage", I get the following messages:

        *checking for file ' Y:\Unit_TEM\3_TRAM\Projecten\N9393_ruimte_transport_model\newpackage/DESCRIPTION' .... OK
        *preparing 'newpackage':
        *checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
        *cleaning src
        *checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
        *checking for empty or unneeded directories
        *looking to see if a 'data/datalist' file should be added
        *building 'newpackage.tar_0.1-6.gz'
         ERROR
        Packaging into .tar.gz failed

When I check the package with R CMD check Y:\Unit_TEM\3_TRAM\Projecten\N9393_ruimte_transport_model\newpackage, I get the following info from "00install"

        * installing *source* package 'newpackage'...
        ** libs

        *** arch - i386
        ERROR: compilation failed for package 'newpackage'
        * removing 'C:/Users/franckxl/newpackage.Rcheck/newpackage'

And the following info from the corresponding log file:

        * using log directory 'C:/Users/franckxl/newpackage.Rcheck'
        * using R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
        * using platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32 (64-bit)
        * using session charset: ISO8859-1
        * checking for file 'newpackage/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
        * this is package 'newpackage' version '0.1-6'
        * checking package namespace information ... OK
        * checking package dependencies ... OK
        * checking if this is a source package ... WARNING
        Subdirectory 'newpackage/src' contains object files
         firstccfile.o secondccfile.o
        * checking if there is a namespace ... OK
        * checking for .dll and .exe files ... OK
        * checking whether package 'newpackage' can be installed ... ERROR
        Installation failed.
        See 'C:/Users/franckxl/newpackage.Rcheck/00install.out' for details.

I have verified similar error messages that were reported on various discussion forums, and most answers I have seen suggested that this may be due to Rtools not being installed. However, I have re-installed the most recent version of Rtools this morning, so I cannot see how this could be the source of the problem. (At least, if it is sufficient to  install the R 2.15.x toolchain in a package that includes a C++ interface - I do not find the explanation in the "R installation and administration" manual very clear on this specific point.)

I hope this is sufficient information to clarify the problem.