[R] Revolutions Blog: July roundup

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Wed Aug 8 19:54:07 CEST 2012

I write about R every weekday at the Revolutions blog:
 http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
and every month I post a summary of articles from the previous month
of particular interest to readers of r-help.

In case you missed them, here are some articles related to R from the
month of July:

The Environmental Performance Index website uses R to rank countries
by measures like environmental health and ecosystem vitality:
http://bit.ly/QfCkiP

A log-linear regression in R predicted the gold-winning Olympic 100m
sprint time to be 9.68 seconds (it was actually 9.63 seconds):
http://bit.ly/QfChUh

Some R-related talks from the Revolution Analytics team and others at
the 2012 JSM conference: http://bit.ly/QfCkiR

Big vectors (with more than 2^31 elements) are coming to R: http://bit.ly/QfChUi

R gets a somewhat oblique mention in the Finance section of the New
York Times: http://bit.ly/QfCkiS

Improvements to the rmr package make R-based map-reduce jobs in Hadoop
faster: http://bit.ly/QfCkiQ

Overview of articles in the June 2012 edition of the R Journal:
http://bit.ly/QfCkiT

An analysis of uses of "soda" vs "pop" on Twitter results in a
linguistic map of the US and the world: http://bit.ly/QfCiax

A guide for preparing public data for analysis with R: http://bit.ly/QfCiaz

A "statistics hacker" describes the tools (R included) he uses for
data science: http://bit.ly/QfCkiU

The lpSolveAPI package has powerful mixed-integer programming
capabilities, as this cargo optimization example demonstrates:
http://bit.ly/QfCiay

R is used by more than 500 statisticians at Google, who use Google's
"Flume" package to model terabytes of data with R:
http://bit.ly/QfCiaC

I used the ggmap package to create a map of wineries in Napa valley
(http://bit.ly/QfCkiW), and Barry Rowlingson created an interactive
version (http://bit.ly/QfCkiX).

The SAScii package parses SAS scripts with PROC IMPORT statements
(provided with many public data sets) to import data into R:
http://bit.ly/QfCiaD

The emotion of the deciding Premier League Championship games with
Manchester United and Manchester City was captured in Twitter and
visualized with R: http://bit.ly/QfCiaE

A new open journal for Data Science: http://bit.ly/QfCkza

How Statistics played a role in the discovery of the Higgs Boson:
http://bit.ly/QfCiaF

A big list of R's features and capabilities: http://bit.ly/QfCkzb

Other non-R-related stories in the past month included: a modern
trailer for the movie '2001' (http://bit.ly/QfCkzc), a photographic
tribute to San Francisco (http://bit.ly/QfCiaG), landing on Mars
(http://bit.ly/QfCkzd), and the evolution of the Formula 1 racer
(http://bit.ly/QfCiaH).

There's a new R user group in Leipzig (http://bit.ly/QfCiaI). Meeting
times for local R user groups (http://bit.ly/eC5YQe) can be found on
the updated R Community Calendar at: http://bit.ly/bb3naW

If you're looking for more articles about R, you can find summaries
from previous months at http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/roundups/.
Join the Revolution mailing list at
http://revolutionanalytics.com/newsletter to be alerted to new
articles on a monthly basis.

As always, thanks for the comments and please keep sending suggestions
to me at david at revolutionanalytics.com . Don't forget you can also
follow the blog using an RSS reader like Google Reader, or by
following me on Twitter (I'm @revodavid).

Cheers,
# David

--